CPUC TO HOLD POLICY + INNOVATION FORUM TO IDENTIFY TOP OPPORTUNITIES FOR ELECTRIC POWER RD&D
SAN FRANCISCO, October 20, 2021 - The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) will hold its second Policy + Innovation Forum on October 28, 2021, to better connect ratepayer-funded research, development, and deployment (RD&D) projects with current and emerging California policy priorities. The forum will also offer a preview of the CPUC's new public database containing more than 60 searchable data fields for hundreds of Electric Program Investment Charge (EPIC) RD&D projects.
The forum will bring together RD&D project leaders, CPUC and California Energy Commission (CEC) Commissioners and staff, and other stakeholders to discuss near-, medium-, and long-term energy policy directions for the state of California, and the technology RD&D implications of those policy directions.
The Forum will focus on the critical and timely topic areas of Building Decarbonization, Integrated Resource Planning, and Transportation Electrification. Participants in the forum will have an opportunity to discuss RD&D needs and developments in those topic areas with the CPUC, and gain insights from CPUC staff. Stakeholders interested in joining the virtual forum can register online at https://www.epicpartnership.org/forum2.html.
- CPUC Commissioner Martha Guzman Aceves
- CPUC Commissioner Clifford Rechtschaffen
- CEC Chair David Hochschild
|Thursday, October 28, 2021||10 a.m. - 3 p.m.||Stakeholders who are interested in joining the virtual forum can register online by visiting EPICPartnership.org/forum2.html.|
The Forum is hosted by the Policy + Innovation Coordination Group (PICG), established in CPUC Decisions (D.) 18-01-008 and D.18-10-052, and comprised of EPIC program administrators, CPUC Commissioners, CPUC Energy Division staff, and the PICG Project Coordinator.
The CPUC's Electric RD&D Investments
EPIC supports the development of new, emerging, and non-commercialized clean energy technologies in California. These projects benefit electric utility customers with increased reliability, improved safety, and/or reduced electricity costs.
The CPUC oversees EPIC, which is funded by investor-owned electric utility customers. Four administrators currently administer EPIC: the CEC, which administers 80 percent of EPIC funds; and Pacific Gas and Electric Company, Southern California Edison, and San Diego Gas & Electric, which together administer the remaining 20 percent of EPIC funds. D.20-08-042 reauthorized EPIC for 2021-2030 at $148 million per year, to be administered by the CEC.
The CPUC regulates services and utilities, protects consumers, safeguards the environment, and assures Californians' access to safe and reliable utility infrastructure and services. For more information on the CPUC, please visit www.cpuc.ca.gov.